Did you know that cardiovascular disease, according to the World Health Organization, is the leading cause of death worldwide?
Moreover, research has shown that the flavonoid content of fruits/vegetables protect the heart and stave off high blood pressure and, thus, cardiovascular disease.
Here is a list of the top plant foods for your heart health:
1. Walnuts. Contain omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, vitamin E, and folate. They help increase your HDL while reducing LDL levels.
2. Chia Seeds. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids. You can add them to smoothies, berries, oatmeal, or cereal.
3. Berries. Packed with fibre, vitamin C, and antioxidants, which help clear the body of free radicals.
4. Chickpeas, lentils, and other legumes. Protein-packed and high in fibre to help lower cholesterol. Make sure that if you’re getting the canned variety to get low in sodium options, or rinse them to help remove excess salt.
5. Whole grains. Very high in fibre. They include barley, oats, quinoa, brown rice, bulgur, and farro.
Make it a great day!
Contact us for injury management or online health/coaching/training/nutrition plans.
Downtown Calgary Chiropractor | Downtown Calgary Chiropractic | Downtown Calgary Physiotherapy | Downtown Calgary Physiotherapist | Downtown Calgary Massage | Downtown Calgary Registered Massage Therapist | Downtown Calgary Acupuncture | Downtown Calgary Traditional Chinese Medicine | Downtown Calgary Naturopathic Medicine | Downtown Calgary Naturopath | Downtown Calgary Fitness | Downtown Calgary Personal Trainer